How I saved $19 and other things…
September 7, 2011 § 3 Comments
I know I said my next post would be how to sew the In a Spin blocks together but I haven’t done any that I could photograph since I last wrote. I promise it is on my agenda but in this post I’ll show you what I have been doing in the meantime and also how I saved $19.
What I’ve been up to
I’ve been sewing the binding on my Appliqué Sampler. I don’t know about you but when I come to sewing the two ends together I always get in a muddle and none of the methods I have tried have been easy (for me at least). So I had a long think about it and decided that planning is the key to making this part easy. Here’s what I did:
1. Once I had started sewing the binding on I measured 10″ from that point backwards and put a pin in to mark the spot.
2. Now I know that the piece needed to complete the binding is 10″. Then I sewed the binding on up to the pin marker.
3. Next I removed the quilt from the machine and measured 5″ from one sewn end on the binding tail and marked it with a pin and then I did the same with the other end. Then I opened out the binding making sure that I left the pins in at the fold. I then put them right sides together at right angles where the pins met and pinned them in place.
It worked perfectly. Now I know this technique may seem obvious to some but it wasn’t obvious to me and I had a real “Eureka” moment when I worked it out for myself. It was so easy! No more horrible binding hassles from now on!
How I saved $19
A while ago I bought a water decanter with a top that acted as a glass. Needless to say the glass broke and though I have similar glasses they do not quite look right. I remembered my great aunts used to have some doily-like things with beads sewn on to weight them down to cover jugs etc. So I set out to find some. I found them but they cost $25 each! The other weekend I went to Rozelle market and bought a lace doily with a muslin centre for $3 and a necklace with crystal and pearl beads for another $3. And I made this…