June 29, 2011 § 5 Comments
June 27, 2011 § 2 Comments
I have four different square rulers. A 12.5″, a 9.5″, an 8.5″ and 6.5″. These I used a lot when I was making my Wonky Canasta quilt.
And I also have a special triangle cutting ruler. This Wondercut ruler is quite a clever idea. I have played with it but not used it for an actual project yet.
In addition to all these fancy rulers I have a 22″ and a 12″ ruler.
So what rulers do you have, and do you use them all? And has anyone used the Cutting Edge rulers that are supposed to sharpen your rotary cutter as you use it? If you have, please let me know what you think of them.
June 26, 2011 § 4 Comments
Do you have many rulers? I’d be interested to know which are your favrouites.
I have quite a few different rulers. Some I use a lot and some less frequently. I have these Westalee rulers which are an Australia invention. They have a black fabric guide that you butt up against your fabric edge.
I also have one that helps you draw circles. This one proved very useful when I was making the Labyrinth quilt.
And that’s not all! More tomorrow.
June 24, 2011 § 3 Comments
What a relief. While I really enjoy hand quilting this has a been a quilting marathon. I’m glad I used the Freudenberg Quiltlite it needles so nicely. Anway here are some photos of the back. I’m saving the front for the big reveal! If you click on the photos you’ll get bigger ones where you can see the detail more clearly.
June 22, 2011 § 2 Comments
Gosh my hands and fingers are so sore! I’ve been quilting like a mad thing. Deciding where and how much to quilt the central medallion was difficult. I don’t want to quilt the whole Arabesque so I decided to quilt around the inner scalloped edge and also to do two rows in the centre. I’ve pinned the rest of it so that when I was wash it holds it in place. Fingers crosssed!
June 20, 2011 § 2 Comments
A I told you, I decided I had to quilt around the appliqué of the wall hanging. The red and black parts were easy. I was able to quilt on the background around the appliqué but the central medallion was more of a challenge. I did quilt around it on the background but I knew I had to do at least some on the appliqué itself. The trouble was I didn’t have any quilting thread that was the right colour. I headed off to the LQS and found they were holding a clearance sale on Guterman hand quilting threads. They’re not going to stock them any more and so were selling them for $2 a reel. Looks like I was in the right place at the right time! What’s more they had the exact colour I needed so I bought it and nine other reels. Aren’t the colours pretty?
June 18, 2011 § 1 Comment
I started the cross hatch quilting on the wall hanging and I was very happy with the way it was going when there was an interesting conversation on quilting density on the Yahoo quiltsbyhand group.
Doris asked a question about quilting density and Sylvia gave a really comprehensive answer which got me thinking, that my wall hanging may have a problem.
Sylvia pointed out that quilts that have differing quilting densities in different areas of the quilt can have problems. That sounded like a description of the wall hanging as I wasn’t planning on quilting the appliqué at all and the central medallion is quite a large percentage of the quilt.
So after I had done all the cross hatching, I had to set to and start quilting around the appliqué.